FIRST PART: STOP WORKING AND GET YOURSELF IN A GOOD MOOD
1. When you feel frustrated, STOP working! Yes, you’ve heard me saying it. But Tina, I have so much to do. And I’m so much behind. And my sales are too low. I can’t stop working! Yes, you do. This is the first and most important step – just stop working. Nothing good can come out from activities where your input was full of negative emotions – doubt, anger, fear, resentment etc.
So, stop working.
2. The second most important thing is that you find an activity that will change your breathing. Neuroscientists have studied human brain and figured out that if we want to feel a different feeling, we should change the way we breathe. And we can change the way we breathe by moving our body in a different way than it was before – probably sitting, right?
You can put on some music, or simply start walking up and down the stairs. Walking around the room. Don’t sit down and start with negative thinking in your head!
If you didn’t manage to stand up before the wave of negative thoughts have flooded you, then have a post it ready that says: When I feel frustrated, sad etc. (what every adjective you put is fine), I will feel if I do that:
It might have feel weird to some of you. But those of you who have struggled with mood swings around your business, you know that sometimes all you need is a reminder.
If this doesn’t work, it is not the end of the world. There a still plenty of things that you can do. One of them is called setting anchors. What does that mean?
You need to do this exercise when you are in a good, or at least neutral mood, so that you will be able to use it when you feel down.
Creating anchors is in NLP a techqnique that is very simple and widely used in all sorts of situations. The concept behind is that our brain can connect the a strong emotional state with an activity. You make a strong emotional connection, once or even more time, so that in the future
How can setting an achor help you with overcoming the down states?
– Anchors can lift you up fast and help you stay there
– You can have more anchors and you can try out what works best for you.
Talk to you hearth, talk to you mind
A technique that worked for me was:
Ask yourself. Is this you mind tryting to tell you something or is it your intuition, you heart? There’s a often a huge difference. Mind is rational, often making conclusions and decisions based on what we “should” do in life, in our society, in our family. Heart has no “shoulds”. We can feel it if it come from the heart. So, if our doubt comes from the heart, it might as well try to warn us or give us some other kind of signal why this business decision or something that has been happing in our life is not good for us. So, listen to those two – the mind and the heath.
For me, what works very well is meditation, where I close my eyes and I connect with myself and the universe. And then I’ll most probably get the answer whether this is something from my mind or even something I’m afraid of and is going to be outside of my comfort zone. Or is something that comes from my heath and the hearth is trying to communicate with me, but doesn’t know how. So it uses some strange feelings of doubt and fear to tell me that is not the right thing for me. This is not what I truly want.
Ask for a higher guidance
A technique is use sometimes and some people say they don’t start a day without it is the following:
When you wake up (or you can do it when you feel out of balance with your feelings), you start meditating. Then, you read a list of empowering statements to lift your mood (I’m …. Successful etc., whatever you feel you need). And then, you ask for a higher guidance and start journaling what every comes to your mind. It’s based on the presumption that every one of us is not alone and has our own team of guides than help us manifest whatever we want in life.
This technique might be too abstract for some of you, but again, might work wonderfully for the others.
So, my idea here is not to give you one recipe for everything, because we are too different and something that works well for me, might not be working well for some of you. So, I encourage you to take one technique, write it on a piece of paper and start using it on a regular basis. In this way, you’ll see which one works best for you and which one doesn’t.
SECOND PART: When you are in good mood
1. Evaluate the situation – is there a reason why you are frustrated. Is it the numbers, the customers, the business model? I didn’t realize that the business model I chose was making me feel frustrated with my business, until I didn’t ask myself about my core values. Because my highest value is freedom, having a business model where I am living completely the opposite life, there’s no flexibility and fixed schedule with language courses or tight dealidnes in translation industry, instead of freedom and flexibility, I was experiencing the feeling, that somebody else is running my life. Which is a nightmare for somebody that values freedom as much as I do. So, ask yourself
What are your core values? Can you live the core values with the business model and industry that you have chosen?
Evaluate the numbers.
Sometimes we can feel frustrated if the sales are not going well. In that case, be objective and honest with yourself. Is the final price that you have covering everything it needs + paycheck or are you covering some business expenses from you personal credit card and you just ignore it. Maybe the costs have risen in the last year and your prices stayed the same? Do you need a higher volume of customers? How and where are you going to get them? How much do you need to sell in order to have the income that you want? What is the way to get you there?
In this step, be completely honest with yourself. If there’s a issue with finances, numbers etc. it won’t solve on its own – although at the beginning, it’s easier to ignore the problem and hope, it’s going to be better. In my experience, hoping is not a strategy. This is the part of business, where you need to be strategic!
Hope these tips find you well!
Have a wonderful day!